Monday, October 06, 2003

Speaking of happiness, here's some music

Got my brick of CDs from cheap-cds.com today. So far I've listened, with great pleasure, to:

  • Stereolab's Peng!: truly brilliant. For context, so you know where I stand on the Stereolab canon: IMO Sound-Dust good, Dots and Loops not-so-good, contrary to the opinions of most critics.
  • Spiritualized's Let It Come Down, also insanely beautiful. Nobody mixes krautrock, gospel, noise-rock, orchestral strings, and epic crises of faith like Spiritualized frontman J. Spaceman; from I Didn't Mean to Hurt You:

    I love you like I love the sunrise in the morning
    I miss you like I miss the water when I'm burning.

    When he sings it, it doesn't sound corny; it sounds glorious. It even gets to me in spite of the fact that I'm usually rather hostile to religion, which is one of J. Spaceman's major themes.

No comments:

Post a Comment